This blog is a way of sharing the information and resources that have helped me to recover my son Roo from an Autism Spectrum Disorder. What I have learned is to view our symptoms as the results of underlying biological cause, which can be identified and healed. I say "our symptoms" because I also have a neuro-immune disorder called Myalgic Encephalomyelitis.

And, of course, I am not a doctor (although I have been known to impersonate one while doing imaginative play with my son)- this is just our story and information that has been helpful or interesting to us. I hope it is helpful and interesting to you!


Sunday, April 17, 2016

Dairy-free Flan (Spanish custard)



This simple recipe for flan is based on one I found in an old Mexican cookbook.  My husband was amazed at how authentic this recipe tasted despite the changes, and the texture was spot-on.  I will add options for variations as I create and test them.  

INGREDIENTS:

2 c preferred milk substitute (I use unsweetened hemp milk)
3/4 c sugar or other granulated sweetener (I use coconut palm sugar)
4 eggs
1 tsp vanilla extract
pinch of salt

if caramelizing the mold:
1/3 cup sugar
2-3 T water

A Pyrex pie dish works well for the mold.  Anything round and shallow can work such as a cake pan or casserole dish.  

METHOD:

-preheat oven to 350 degrees.  

-(this step is optional, especially if you are needing to keep the sugar content low) To caramelize the mold, combine an additional 1/3 cup of sugar with 2-3 T of water in a saucepan and bring to a boil over medium heat until the sugar melts and turns caramel brown.  Pour the caramel into the bottom of your mold and swirl the mold around to coat the bottom and partway up the sides.  Set aside (you can let it sit upside down if the caramel is soft and starting to come back down the sides otherwise).

-Lightly beat the eggs in a large bowl, than slowly beat in the sugar until it is dissolved.  Add the milk, vanilla extract, and salt (if using animal milk scald it first then let it cool).  Pour this mixture into the mold.

-Place the filled mold into a larger pan (I use a large Pyrex lasagna pan) and fill with hot water to about halfway up the sides of the mold.  Bake for one hour or until a knife inserted in the middle comes out clean.  I find this works best with the oven rack set pretty low.